Thursday, November 13, 2014

Making connections with Faculty and Professors!

Most people are astonished when I tell them that my graduating class in high school had thirty-six people. Although I admit that it was a ridiculous small number, I loved the individual attention the teachers gave us and I loved getting to know all of my classmates on a personal level. So, as you can imagine, I was a little hesitant to attend BC, which has over 9,00 students.  However, now I realize I had no reason to worry. I have two classes with fewer than twenty people, which results in great relationships my professors. I do have two very large lecture style classes, but the teachers make it very clear that they are always around to ask questions or to just chat with during either their office hours or at a scheduled time. For example, my history professor Dr. Lyerly scheduled a review session for our class before our midterm and has online office hours (in addition to her regular office hours) where people can send their questions via the Internet. Her TAs also offer office hours and are more than willing to read over our papers before we hand them in. So, ultimately, although getting to know some of my teachers may require a little bit of effort on my part, Boston College professors want all of their students to succeed.
-Jillian Bjorn-Caron A&S ‘18



No comments:

Post a Comment